Where Were You?

Remembering is part of life.
There’s the good remembering.
And then there is the painful remembering.
The kind of remembering that produces tears, grief and often a thought in the back of your mind, “What else is going to happen?”  
I know that September 11th is the day that changed our country forever.
It caused us to realize that this land of the free and home of the brave is not quite as safe as we once thought.  
That the acts of a little over a dozen people would result in the loss of life to thousands and the soberness of life to all Americans and really, the entire world.
Just like those of us who were alive when JFK was shot, we remember where we were that day.  
And like everyone else we remember where we were when we heard about the terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001.
Where were we?
Dw and I were actually at a pastor’s conference in Virginia Beach.  Jack Hayford was the guest speaker and he had just got up to the front to speak.  We rarely sit in the front during a conference, but somehow that day we had ended up on the very front row.
A man came down to the front and whispered in Jack’s ear.  Being just feet from Jack Hayford we heard him turn to the man and say, “Go confirm that.”
The man disappeared to the back and out the door.
Dw and I looked at each other.  We knew something was seriously wrong.  You could feel it.  It made our stomachs turn, just the expression on Jack Hayford’s face.   Dw leaned over to me and whispered, “I think this is a JFK moment.”  
We waited with such apprehension.
The gentleman took what seemed like forever to return and hurry down to Jack.  He, again, leaned over and whispered in his ear.  
Jack turned to the group of pastors gathered and began, “It appears that the United States of America is under attack by terrorists.  There are confirmed attacks on the World Trade Towers in New York City.  The Pentagon has also been attacked and there are planes missing.  We, as leaders, need to do battle for our nation and we need to lead those we pastor and our communites…..Please pray with me….” 
And hundreds of pastors began praying in passion.  
We were only a few hours from Washington, DC.  
Our kids were at home with my mom who was babysitting them.
We could not get home fast enough, 
but we knew it would be most wise to take back roads.
We passed numerous military bases as we drove…lined with young men and women dedicated to protecting our country, all being called to report for duty with an immediate high alert urgency.   The lines snaked out on the main roads.  
Dw and I cried and prayed as we drove.
No, we will never forget.
So tell me, please.

Where were you when you heard 
about the attacks?

What were you doing?
Honestly, I really have a need to hear 
today from you.

Please talk to me.

126 thoughts on “Where Were You?

  1. I was actually just leaving for work, and the dj's on the station were talking so strangely subdued that I went back in the house and turned on the TV to see what was going on. It was a JFK moment, (I was in Jr High for that one). I will never forget either one. A moment that brought the US together like nothing else. Yet ten years later, it seems evil has taken over again from the shocking next few days where everyone was praying and talking to God.

  2. Honestly, this year, I've tried to ignore a lot of the coverage… I'm not really sure why, it's just felt much too difficult to revisit that day, this year more than other years.

    I was 11 years old that morning. It was Tuesday, so my mom had Bible study that morning at church. Being homeschooled, I chose to go with her on Tuesdays, taking my schoolwork and doing some of it in the nursery while she was at Bible study. I was the oldest of the homeschool kids that did the same thing and I'd often end up wandering across the hall and helping with the littles instead of doing my schoolwork. For some reason, I'd brought a Beanie Baby to church that day… an angel bear.

    We were actually on the way to church when the first planes hit, but we were listening to the Christian radio… and I guess they didn't think that was "family friendly" enough to announce. But I knew something was wrong when Mom came to get me not long after we'd gotten there. Someone had come into their study meeting to tell them.

    What I've failed to mention thus far is I've lived 15 miles outside of Washington, DC my entire life. So, this had a deeper impact in my world. I looked at my mom with confusion on my face as she gathered me and told me she would tell me in the car. She couldn't tell me then, because other kids were still around and many of them had parents that work downtown or in the Pentagon.

    We went home and Mom told me on the way. When we got home, my brother was watching the news in my parents' room. The next couple of days were full of wondering. I remember fearing that friends' parents were in the part of the Pentagon that had been hit. PTL, no one I personally knew was harmed… but over the next several weeks, we heard stories of "I was supposed to be there, but I had a meeting over here" and the like.

    Sorry this is so long. I started typing and it just kept coming.

  3. I was in my "barn" apartment at my parents' house. I was with my 2 year old that morning, b/c I didn't have any college classes, and my husband was at KU. I just remember turning on the TV and listening to the news and seeing the 1st tower fall on the live coverage as (I think Tom Brokaw) kept talking, not knowing it had fallen. I remember the eeriness of no planes in the sky for a couple days afterwards. Lots of fear and I just held my baby, knowing the world would never be the same. We were both 21 at the time. I just want to say thank you to Tyler and to all of our armed service men and woman who are fighting to protect us.

  4. I was living in Virginia. My husband was at work at Langley Air Force Base. My oldest 2 were in school and I was at home with my baby who had just turned 1 just a week earlier. I could hear the jets being scrambled from the base as they were sent out to possibly shoot down more planes threatening the US. I could not pull myself away from the coverage of what was happening. I was so thankful when my husband was finally able to come home. In October of 2001, we travelled to Washington DC and it was so shocking to see the devestation at the Pentagon. I cannot even fathom what it must have been like in New York.

    So thankful for those still serving our great country today…my hubby included.


  5. I was brushing my teeth for school (sophomore year of high school) and turned on the radio. I was immediately struck by how quiet and sad the DJs sounded on the Top 40 station. After listening for a minute, I went downstairs and turned on the TV right after the second plane hit. I think the first tower had come down by the time we headed to school… my mom tried to get in touch with relatives living and working in NYC. I broke the news to most of my friends as soon as we got to school. All we did in each period was watch the news. I have a vivid memory of sitting in English class, watching the footage of people jumping out of the buildings. It is very sobering to look back on the fear and sorrow of that day.

  6. I have not posted in a long time, I am more of a dedicated lurker. I am an official follower of the blog and a fellow adoptive parent. On Sept. 11, 2001, I was a teacher in a Pre-K class at a Christian School. The Mom of one of my students came to the door and whispered that a plane had crashed into a building in Ney York City. I go a little concerened because my youngest brother was living there at the time. The student's were involved in learning centers, so my teaching assistant and I turned on talk radio, very softly to get more information. Over the next few minutes we learned the horrible truth of the situation. This was not a plane crash, this was an attack on the US. After a brief announcement from the school administation, each class was called to a time of prayer for our country. I cried as I prayed and continued to cry as some of the students offered up their own prayers as well. All outside activities were canceled for the day, and many parents came to pick up thier kids early, just needing to have them near. I remember the very eerie feeling of watching the skies the next 3 days and seeing no airplanes. I never really realized how many I saw on a daily basis, until they were completely absent. May we never forget the bravery and courage of so many who lost their lives that day. And never forget those like your precious son who continue to fight for us against the threat of terrorism around the world.

  7. Very short

    Was in work and heard it on the radio, ran home at lunch and turned on the t.v and could not believe what i was seeing.

    I remember the anger i felt and the injustice of it.

    Although i am not American i wanted to hop on a plane and go and help.

  8. I was at work. At the time I was working at a home office of a family from my Church. The lady I worked with (and the Mother of the family) came home shortly after the first tower was hit. I had been there by myself and was busy at work. She told me what had just happened. We turned on the tv in her bedroom and we sat on her bed and watched the second tower get hit. We were in shock and sat there for a long time watching the news. We later watched the towers collapse. It was so hard to work that day. Later that afternoon I went to my class, not wanting to go. I thought it was silly that we still had class. No one was in their right mind.

    Later that day I learned that my sister and her newborn son had come to my mom's house because she lived on the top floor of an apartment building and could hear the planes that were circling waiting for a place to land at the airport.

    I am so thankful for all those that serve and have served. Remember today with so many others. We will never forget.

  9. I shared my story at my blog http://www.godsblessingstous.blogspot.com.

    Also my mom was at Disney World with her young nieces. My cousin remembers that day and she was only 6. My mom told me it was bizarre to witness Disney World being evacuated. The music and happiness that we all know about Disney had stopped and there was fear, sadness, and confusion.

  10. It was still early in the West Coast and I was awakened by a call from my brother in London who was in a panic asking if we were okay. All I remember was him asking how I could be asleep when we under attack. I still thought I was dreaming as I turned on the TV. It was just surreal watching the live coverage, fielding overseas calls reassuring people that we were safe while preparing to teach a second grade class and totally unsure how to even begin to talk about the evil that had just visited the country.

  11. I had just gotten out of the shower and my husband told me and we watched the 2 nd plane hit right before I had to leave to take my daughter to school. When we got to school (she was in kindergarten) her class mate who was a firery red headed Tazmanian devil of a child, who never stood still, came up to me took my hand and told me "an airplane hit a building". I told I knew and that we all needed to pray. She squeezed my hand and ran off. Her name was Hope. Every time I think of that day I think of Hope. Hope the little girl, hope for our great nation, hope for those left behind. Just Hope.

  12. I was at work in eastern Canada when the first plane hit shortly before 10am our time. I was starting my coffee break and went on the internet to check a website where they discuss the news of the day. Someone had just posted about the attack and I switched to CNN to see if it were true. I watched in disbelief as the second plane hit the Trade Center. Not much work was accomplished that day as the whole office including the boss stayed glued to the computer watching the events unfold. I remember feeling so helpless at first, so sad for the victims and their families and so proud of the first responders who laid their lives on the line.

    Many Canadian cities and towns accepted stranded passengers from over 225 flights that had been diverted/grounded. The small community of Gander, Newfoundland and surrounding area (population less than 10000) hosted almost 7000 passengers and crew for 5 days before flights were resumed. Their story was told in a Tom Brokaw documentary called Operation Yellow Ribbon.

  13. I was asleep, when my sister called to tell me. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know there was a WTC! And, certainly not TWO of them. I turned on my TV and the horror began. I sobbed and Prayed, all day and for days after.
    I lived on Summit Ave. in Saint Paul. Mn. If you stood in front of the old mansion I lived in, you could see our State Capitol, just three blocks away on the end of my street. I got several phone calls, urging me to leave, to get away from the Capitol. I did not leave. When I think about it now, had a similar incident occurred at the MN. State Capitol, I most certainly would have been directly involved in a mass casualty.
    I HAVE been watching a lot of the tv coverage this week. Somehow, I feel an obligation to all those who lost their lives and to those who survived them, to those who fled in sheer panic mode and to those who raced into that horrific scene to try and help those in the rubble of those huge buildings.
    I wrote a short poem today, in reference to that day. It's on my blog.
    Lots of Love to You, Linny and to all who witnessed the pain and loss of that day. ~ Jo

  14. I was on my way to work. I had just started a new job in April, had just gotten married at the end of June, and I remember everything being so "perfect" at the time. Both my current and former companies had offices in the Towers, and many friends and associates were lost. In fact, our NY office puts on a large client event every fall – the NY boat ride – and many of our partners from across the country travel to NY for it. They and their spouses were all staying at the WTC Marriott that weekend, many leaving for home as late as Monday morning the 10th, narrowly missing the tragedy. That same event was held this weekend – how surreal it must be for them all to be back there. I'll never forget the first time I had to fly (on business) after 9/11, either. I don't fly enough to have points for upgrading to first class…so I made my client (who never travels anything but first class) sit in coach with me. It was that, or I was not going. I was literally terrified of air travel. I mourn the sense of security I once had…that complete strangers can take something like that from you without your permission. I will never forget.

  15. Remember it like it was yesterday: I was at a women's Bible study – we, too, spent the time passionately interceding. I had just learned the night before that I was pregnant with our 3rd child. I was scared b/c the pregnancy was a *surprise* and we had 2 ACTIVE boys, ages 3 & 1 at the time. We were also temporarily living in a 1 BR apt. Since then, God has taught me MUCH about relying on HIM, not my own strength. Love you, Linny! Thanks for keeping your blog ~ it is a great source of encouragement 4 me.

  16. I was 9, sitting in my 5th grade classroom. School had only started about an hour before when the principal got on the intercom about the attacks and we turned on the TV. Because my town is 20 minutes from Camp Lejeune, the biggest Marine Corps base on the east coast, we went into immediate lockdown. We weren't allowed to leave the classroom. We didn't get any work done that day, and most kids' parents checked them out early. My young mind couldn't completely comprehend what was happening, but everyone understood that it was big and that life would never be the same.

    I can't believe it's been ten years. God Bless America.

  17. I was in 5th grade My mom stayed home because she was getting a washer delivered that day so it was rare that I was watching the news before school. I remember watching the tower up in smoke. Then at school the teachers turned the TV on and we all watched as the second plane hit. All the kids starting getting called out of school. My mom thought it'd be safest for me at school so she didn't come get me.

  18. I was a junior in high school and had dance class first period. At the end of class, our teacher casually mentioned that she heard on the radio that two planes had crashed into the WTC. I was so mad that she hadn't told us earlier and that she didn't think it was anything important. As I went to the next class, a history teacher put a TV in the hallway for us to watch the news as we passed between classes.

    When I got home, I watched the TV coverage for the rest of the night. My cousin worked in the WTC and it was difficult trying to find out if he was alive. We finally got in contact with him and learned that had evacuated from Tower 2 when the first plane hit. It was a somber day.

  19. We were outside of Albany, NY. My husband is in the Navy and was training at a Nuclear facility nearby. I sat in front of the TV all day. I had the tv on right before the 2nd plane hit the tower. I was in complete shock, crying and praying. I tried to call my family in the Northwest, but of course all the phone lines were out/jammed. They sent all "non essential" military personal home, so my husband came home early that day and didn't go back to work for 3 days.

    We were scheduled to go to NYC the following weekend for our anniversary, to see a show and explore the town.

    After that he was assigned to the carrier USS LIncoln. Everything has changed since that day.

  20. I was home in my pjs watching morning news from my blue recliner…Joel was at work early that day and I called him to come home…Our daughter lived in Chicago and our oldest son in Des Moines working as a police officer and our middle son in Mpls so needless to say we were in constant contact with our kids in big cities that day and praying for their safety and our country.

  21. I was home with my 5mth old, and 3 and 5 year olds. It was a rare morning that I turned on the TV. I flipped to Good Morning America and had only been watching for a couple of minutes when Diane Sawyer and Charlie Gibson started to get breaking news in their ear sets. I sat dumbfounded as the events unfolded, watching live as the second plane crashed into the 2nd tower. It was so sobering, so frightening with all the unknowns. Later that afternoon I remember pushing my children on the swingset under the eerie silence of the plane-less skies. My neighbor, who rarely chatted with us, came out and said, "I wonder what the future holds for your little ones." We cried together. Such tragic times, yet I remember the pulling together of our nation, the hope and fierce love of America that came surging through the black day in our history. I'll never forget, and will forever be grateful for families such as yours that give up their loved ones to serve for our freedoms. Thanks for the opportunity to share, Linny. Praying for your Tyler right now.

  22. I was at my job in a middle school nurse's office. Around the time that school started, our psychologist came in and asked if I'd heard about a plane crashing into the WTC. My first thought was that it was a small private plane. I turned on the radio and when I heard about the second plane, my gut said it was an attack. I suppose all the classes were watching the TVs in their rooms, because I didn't have many kids coming in "sick". I don't have a TV, so I would walk to the office and watch for a few minutes and go back to check on my office. As soon as I got home at 3:30, I turned the TV on and was glued to it until late that night. I also called my Mom in New Mexico, because I just had to talk to my Mama. I don't remember that my kids reacted a bunch (they were 16 and 11), but I think we all sat together and watched the coverage in shock. My cousin's husband is a West Point grad (helicopter pilot) whose duty in Hawaii ended on September 10. I was so afraid he would get called back. I'm so grateful to all the service people who have and continue to make the greatest sacrifice to keep us safe.

  23. I was wrapping up a graveyard shift at a crisis nursery for abused and neglected 0-6 year olds. The day shift walked in and told us to turn the tv on, that there was something going on. We spent the next few minutes standing around, trying to figure out what was going on. The images on the tv were so unbelievable. Then this little 3-year old voice piped up – 'Why is that plane flying into that building?'. We promptly turned the tv off. My team headed out a few minutes later. I didn't own a tv at the time and I spent the next few hours glued to the radio as they worked to ground all the planes. Sometimes the magnitude, the lives, families, loss behind the numbers from that day and all those that have paid the ultimate price fighting for our freedom ever since are still hard to comprehend.

  24. I stood in my living room with my soon to be two-year old, and 6 months pregnant with my second son…wondering what the world was going to hold for them…wondering if there would be more attacks. In disbelief…realizing I placed too much TRUST in a government and a military..and that GOD is the one who truly has sustained our country. I cried many many tears that day, and still do EVERY TIME I see the faces of those firefighters hoisting that flag at ground zero.

  25. My mom came over that morning and was teaching me how to can tomatoes…while keeping an eye on my 1.5 year old son. We were having fun, getting so much done, and had no idea anything was happening until my hubby called home. When he told me what had happened, I thought, "Oh, that's too bad." But it didn't hit me until I turned on the tv and truly saw the devastation. Truly a moment that will never leave my mind.

  26. I was in the car with my husband headed to work. I remember not really being able to wrap my head around what the radio was saying…planes hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon? The reality of it being a terrorist attack took a while to sink in. At work, the gravity of what was really happening flooded in, it was hard to focus on anything, all I could do was pray. It was so quiet and solemn at work.

  27. I was folding clothes in my bedroom with the radio on. I had just dropped my son off at preschool and my baby was napping. They announced it over the radio and I ran to the tv. I was completely freaked out.Should I go and get my son?… Picking him up at noon was very surreal for all of the parents. The other thing I will never forget is the days with no planes flying. We were in the flight path for a local airport and it silence was eerie. Although the night of Sept 11th we did hear air force one fly over. It was rather scary knowing that there were no planes flying yet we heard and saw this one. We found out later it was the president flying back to washington. After planes were back in the air I had a knot in the pit of my stomach for I don't know how long every time I heard or saw a plane fly over. We also heard fighter jets flying out from Wright Patterson AFB during the week and that was scary. Not knowing if they knew something we didn't….
    Today we went to a new 1st responders memorial in a local community. It is beautiful. The kids were thrilled with it. It brought back alot of the anxiety in the pit of my stomach. Actually, today has in general. I am glad the kids got to talk to a friend who is a firefighter at the memorial. He is trained as a disaster responder. He drove immediately to New York that day and worked for several weeks. Everyone needs to remember how they felt that day. Just like our grandparents remembered what they were doing when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Sheri

  28. I was at work when my mom called and told me that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. We talked on hoping and praying that it was a terrible accident. We spoke for a few minutes and the second plane hit. We realized then that the US was under attack. The building where I worked at the university also housed the department of Military Science (ROTC). My co-worker and I walked to their hall and went into their reception area where a tv was playing. We sat with these present and future military leaders and watched the towers fall, film of the attack on the Pentagon and the plane crash in Shanksville, PA. My thought was for my family and how I wanted them all close. When I returned to my office, I called my son-in-law in Brazil and told him that I wanted them to come home. He assured me that they were safe and in fact, were probably safer than we were in the USA. He was probably right at that time.

    The next few days we were inundated with the horrific images and on the following Sunday, our church along with other churches across the nation were packed. People felt the need to turn to God in a time of such uncertainty. It breaks my heart that this did not last. As the days returned to some normalcy, God was forgotten again and people went about their business, leaving Him out.

    The same goes for patriotism. People were so much more patriotic, loving this country and standing up for her. That too has gone by the wayside.

    I just pray that it doesn't take another incident to remind us that this is a great country and we serve a great God and the two together can have a great influence on the world.

  29. I was only four at the time. But my mom has told me numerous times that she was sitting on the couch watching tv, while feeding my brother, who at the time was less than a month old. She said she remembers the feeling in the pit of her stomach, and the shock she was in. Now, I am 14 and I realize how terrible that day must have been and now I see that it was a terrible day for our country. My prayer is now, that people's lives were changed for the better, and that those who were hurt have been used for God's purpose.


  30. I was cleaning and my sister called me. I just couldn't believed as I watched it unfold and being so scared. Chris came home from work because I was so full of fear.

    Do you know as weird as it is that is the day God started to release me of a lot of my fears?

  31. I had just gotten to work and heard about the first plane. My husband was off that day so I called him and as we talked on the phone he saw the second plane hit on TV and told me about it. We knew then it wasn't an accident. My son was in the Navy and his ship was deployed to the Mediterranean. Our DIL and 4 year old granddaughter were in Norfolk and that began to be mentioned as another target. The Navy closed the base which included daycare where our granddaughter was. We went to get her and keep her so that our DIL would be able to work the rest of the week. We drove the 200 miles to Norfolk listening to the radio and praying all the way. Thankfully, everyone was safe, but everything changed forever.

  32. I was at home with my fourteen month old baby. I remember thinking that he would now grow up in a different world than I had. We attended a prayer & worship service at our church that evening.

  33. Before becoming a stay at home mom, I was a sheriff's deputy. I had just begun my career at the sheriff's office and was in "jail training" at the adjacent county's inmate detention center. During a break, we (fellow deputies) went downstairs from the classroom, in the hallway (just outside an prisoner work housing unit)was a tv. We (fellow deputies and inmates) stood and watched the first tower burn and also witnessed the second tower get struck. It was crazy because at that point, we weren't law enforcement vs. prisoners but just Americans watching a tragedy unfold:( My tears fell as I realized my cousin in the Air Force would more than likely be activated. He was but he is safe now and just about to retire as a Major!! God is faithful and asks us to remember such times as these!
    My husband, also a deputy, was called out to protect vital areas in our county as a precaution.

  34. I was in Alaska, living on the army base, my husband came home from PT before 6 a.m. and we watched the horror together. As a military spouse life became very different for several weeks after barely seeing my husband, long lines to get back on post from work and always listening for the terror alert levels. Thankful for our military and thankful for a God of mercy.

  35. I was taking my class of first graders to music class when the custodian stopped me in the hall and whispered the news. It was so unbelievable. As teachers we spent the day trying to keep in touch with the news, calling our families when we had a break, and trying to keep it from our little students. And all the time wondering about the one missing plane that was supposedly over Ohio, possibly headed to an air base close by. It was such a heartbreaking day and will never be forgotten. And being older, I also remember the day JFK was shot!

  36. I was at work in the pediatrician's office. We had a TV on in an office and couldn't break away from it. Finally, I realized I needed to have my kiddos with me. I left work and dismissed them from school. I just needed to hug them and know our family was safe at home together!!

  37. I was working in Washington DC- in one of the major hosptials. We had heard from someone in another department that the first plane hit. By the time our outpatients left, we were told we had to stay, even if we weren't triage staff- they would use us somehow. We were not allowed to make calls out and our cell phones didn't work. When we heard the Pentagon had been hit (only a few miles from where we were) we then heard rumors the Capitol was next. Our hospital was in lockdown and prepared for many many casualties, but unfortunately not many survived. I had to take the public transportation home that evening- the big metro system. I was so scared to take it- I was sure it was a perfect terrorist target- they could gets hundreds of us at once. It was surreal watching everything at home- it was played over and over. I knew of one guy from the pentagon- his brother went to college with me. He died. Also a firefighter in NYC- a very good friend of my uncles, he died too. My grandfather, who was a retired NYC cop, died the year before. I'm glad, though, because this would have killed him.

    I don't think there were many of us that weren't touched by someone that passed that day. I can't believe it's been 10 years. I was actually thankful I don't work or live near DC anymore when they talked about the new threats for this 9/11. I hope we never have to live through something like that again.

  38. I had just come downstairs to get some coffee. My hubby told me that one of the towers had been hit by a jet. He went in the kitchen to get me some coffee and while there , I started screaming to him that the second tower just had a jet fly into it….I saw people falling out of some windows and then the news people brought the cameras elsewhere.
    My grandfather came to this country for freedom for future generations of family. We are not free any longer. Day by day our freedom to get around this country and the rest of the world. We, as Christians, are now being watched as domestic terrorists…How sad, because it is because of us that god has not brought His wrath down on the others yet….Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem and for Jesus' soon return….
    Sandy in NC, and too close to DC for me..

  39. I was a sophomore in high school sitting in my 2nd period English class when they made the announcement. My teacher started acting really strangely but kept on teaching; I found out later her husband was flying that day. I just remember praying that he would be ok even though I wasn't a believer back then. Most of the day we spent watching the news. Teachers knew that none of us would really focus. Many students were particularly worried because we live near a nuclear power plant and we were afraid that the planes might try and hit one of those. Many of my classmates had parents that worked in the power plant. Many had parents that were flying that day. So many were just filled with anxiety. I just kept thinking "this can't be happening." It was such a scary time. I didn't know if I was supposed to go to dance class right after school or if it'd be cancelled. I can't remember now if I went or not. It was definitely a day that changed our lives.

    Praying for the still grieving families today.

  40. I was in seminary at Duke – like your pastors' conference, as hard as the events were to fathom, it was awesome to be surrounded by Christian brothers and sisters and to join together in prayer. We all ended up in the student lounge watching events unfold on TV…

  41. I was on my way to work. My husband was out of town just about an hour outside of New York City. Because of the phone lines being so crammed, I was not able to get through to him for over 2-3 hours. Of course, flights were canceled so he managed, by the grace of God, to get one of the last rental cars anywhere around that area and began the journey of driving all the way home to Mississippi.
    Me and the kids spent the evening at a neighbors' house and just watched it all in disbelief. I just remember feeling like I was living in some dream/nightmare.

  42. Visiting my uncle in Toronto for the day. But we were spending nights with my gma in Detroit so we were some of the crazy people trying to cross the boarder into the States that night.

  43. I was an assistant principal at an elementary school. I had gone into work early, and was in my office when one of the first grade teachers came flying in and said that a plane had hit a building in New York. I couldn't quite understand what she was trying to tell me and thought, like one of your other commenters, that it was just a horrible accident. We turned on a television that was in the back office and saw that horrible day unfolding. We didn't want our kids to be afraid, and tried to keep everything as "normal" as possible. We had the radio on in the principal's office and the television in the faculty lounge all day. We started the day at full capacity, but by the end of the day, over half of the kids had been picked up. That night, I went home and searched the Psalms for verses of comfort to send out to the prayer chain at church.

  44. I was walking down the back hallway of the elementary school where I worked. I could hear a ruckus in one of the 4th grade classrooms and as I walked by one of the students I worked with came out and said "the world is coming to an end." I then learned that a 2nd plane had hit the WTC. All the tvs were quickly turned off and we tried to conduct business as usual that day and the days after. It was difficult to counsel/comfort the kids in the days to follow when we as the adults were upset too. As a Christ follower, I know peace and joy in the midst of tragedy, but I still cried buckets for those who had lost family members and friends.

  45. I was in my 7th grade literature class. Someone came to the door and whispered to the teacher and she went immediately and turned the television on. We all sat in silence and confusion and watched as the second plane hit. Soon after that, the school required the televisions to all be shut off and we had to wait till we got home that afternoon to learn what all had really happened.

  46. I was in fifth grade and found out because i went to my classroom in between art and gym to put on my gym shoes {since i had forgotten to do so before art like the whole class was supposed to do}. and i watched as my teacher couldn't take her eyes off the television, as black smoke poured out one of the towers into a perfectly blue sky. one of the students with me asked what had happened, and she said planes had hit the world trade center. it was the first time i had heard the words world trade center. she didn't say anything else, and we weren't allowed to be told anything for the rest of the day. so i didn't know it was a terrorist attack until my mom told me after school, but somehow, even just seeing the black smoke against the blue sky, i knew the fabric of everything that had been before had been irrevocably altered.

  47. I lived in Maryland at the time and my ex husband was stationed on a military base there. I was the co-leader of the family resource group for our unit and my self and the other co-leader were supposed to have a brunch meeting that day to go over plans for the upcoming events. She called me that morning while I was getting ready and said "turn the tv on" We watched together in shock as the 2nd plane hit. I spent the day praying, worrying, and trying to figure out what to do now. Our base was locked down tight and my ex didn't come home for at least 3 days (we lived off post. I remember the days spent waiting to hear from friends who were wondering if their loved ones were ok. I remember thinking "things will never be the same. we will never be the same"

  48. I had just gotten home from dropping my 6 year old off at church for his 6th day of kindergarten. O had called a friend to tell her something and she instantly said go turn on your TV. I did so and hung up. I watched only briefly because I jumped right back in the car and went back to the church and sat there until school ended.

  49. I am a postmaster in a small town. A neighboring postmaster called to tell me the news. I spent my day comforting and encouraging customers who came in with looks of total disbelief on their faces. Our lives changed that day.

  50. I was in Hanoi, Viet Nam adopting my oldest daughter. (She's 10 now.)We'd all just come back from dinner (it was Monday night there) and we were watching the tv in the lobby. Something was dreadfully wrong. You could tell from the looks on people's faces. It was very surreal being so far from home.

  51. My parents were on vacation in Washington D.C. and were on a tour of the FBI building when the planes hit.

    I was working at an aircraft manufacturing company in Wichita and was getting all of the info straight from the FAA about flights that were missing and where all the flights would be grounded. Getting the "inside info" was a blessing and a curse that day. In a city where airplane noise is the 'norm' to not hear anything flying for days is eerie.

    As a 'kid' in my early 20s, I learned more and more the value of my family that day when I wasn't able to confirm my parents' whereabouts quickly.

  52. I was 18 and sitting in my first job at a daycare. I remember feeling a little terrified and then later as I walked on the treadmill at the gym, I felt so guilty. Really the whole day felt very guilty for just doing such NORMAL things while all these people were dying, rescuing or grieving. Very surreal, very much a day to hold onto your family and that night we spent at prayer meeting at church. It is worth remembering…

  53. I was in NJ to visit my family & friends, just 50 miles away from NYC. I had spent all of Sept 9 in NYC with my friend JoAnne and had plans to be in NYC on Sept 12 for a play with my girlfriend, Fran.

    I was staying with my friend Joan and her family. (Her town sustained the most loss of life that day since so many of the residents took the train from there into NYC.) She was a homeschooling mom so her sons were home with us that morning (8 yrs old & 11 yrs old). We watched the live coverage as we sat on the floor in front of the TV in shock. We were crying & praying & couldn't believe what we were seeing.

    Being just 50 miles south of NYC, the smoke could be seen & smelled in the town I was in, which was so eery. My flight out of NJ was delayed by a day and when I finally landed in Durango later that week, our tiny little airport was being guarded by armed soldiers. Again it was very surreal.

  54. I had just sat down to nurse my 5 month old first born. Nursing had never gone well and I actually had an appointment that day with the doctor and was diagnosed with mastitis. I just remember sitting there nursing (and struggling) and watching the news report and crying and saying "sorry" over and over again to my baby as I felt bad for bringing her into a world that looked like this. I remember needing to call someone and tell them, so I called my mom and my husband. It was all so surreal and we were so far away from it, in our rural, midwestern town, but it still felt so personal.

  55. I was at home preparing for work as a 21 yr old. I recall my Papa calling us kids into the living room to see what was happening. It was unusual to have the tv on in the morning. I did not want to go to work, because I knew no one would be there to work. My sister turned 16 that day. We lived in far western KS at the time and the wide open sky always provided great jet trails and we would watch jets pass over all the time. That day, I remember standing in the yard with her and commenting how strange it was to not see a single plane. And it went on for days. The very small airport near us had about a half a dozen large jets land when every jet was grounded. She is now in the AF and has had one tour overseas.

    I didn't expect to be so emotional today. It was a day of remembrance, obviously, but I didn't realize how tender I was to it still.

  56. I was student teaching that semester and I was having a conference with my classroom teacher and university supervisor. Someone from the library walked in and told us what happened.

    I decided right then to quit that semester and stay home with 10 month old and support my husband (a national guardsman). Even though I was only a mere couple of months from finishing my college degree, I don't regret the decision.

    I am still home, but now with three children and still supporting that same National Guardsman. God bless America!!!


  57. I find it amazing I can forget how old my children are on any given day but I can tell you exactly where I was at the very minute I watched all of the events of 9-11 take place. I was sitting in my living room watching the today show as my then 3 and 1 year old played. I was folding clothes and I remember just hanging on to a sweatshirt for dear life as this great country of ours was being violated. I grew up feeling that we were safe and couldn't be touched. I was so scared for my children that day and what the future would bring. I remember that night my 3 year old after watching coverage off and on that day asked for us to close his blinds for the first time of his life. He asked me if a plane was going to hit our house. I told him no never. He said he wanted his blinds closed because he didn't want to see any airplanes. He actually slept with them open for the first time this past year. My heart aches when I think about that day and the families that lost loved ones. I don't know how anyone got through that period without faith.

  58. i was 3 weeks away from giving birth to my oldest child. (now we have 6) i remember crying out, "Lord, how can i bring a baby into this evil world????"

  59. I was in sixth grade. Our principal made an announcement at some point during the day letting us know that something was going on. My mom was teaching that day, so I got off the bus with a neighbor and watched the news at her house until my mom got home. I had no idea what I was watching, but I remember being terrified. The whole world seemed so small. I felt like the terrorists were in my neighborhood. It was so scary. It's still so scary. I will never forget that day.

  60. I was at a conference for service providers that was being presented by the American Red Cross. They had t.v.'s and screens set up for a multi-media presentation. We were eating bagels, donuts, yogurt, juice and coffee ready to start at 9 a.m. when someone came in, whispered in the ear of the Director of ARC. I saw his face and knew it was bad. They changed the t.v.s from screen savers to the news and my heart sank.

    My very best friend and godmother to my children worked in Tower 1. I immediately called her house to leave a message, thinking that she would have already been at work, but was shocked when she sleepily answered the phone. I yelled, "Where are you?" even tho' it was a dumb question because I had dialed her home phone, but I was in such a panic. She explained that her 18 month old, my godson, had been burning with fever all night and she had decided to stay home with him. She had no idea what had happened. I said, "Lizzy, turn on the t.v.!" and as she did we both saw the 2nd plane….

    She lost several staff members that day.

    The conference was cancelled as the ARC staff started responding. I just sat with everyone and could not stop watching… until the people started jumping from the building and the cameras followed them to the ground and I had to get out of there. I went to my office, gathered my staff and we just prayed and processed.

  61. My husband and I were on our way to work listening to our Christian radio station. I had just stated moments before that it was odd the dj's had yet to be heard that morning. Then they came on tears in their voices explaining what had happened. I was pregnant with our first child, our son, who is now 9 1/2. It was such a frightening moment, wondering what kind of a world he would born into. We prayed desperate prayers and were glued to the radio at work and the tv at home for at least a week.

  62. I was sitting on the f loor in the 2nd grade class I was working in. The p hone rang…I went to answer it. It was the teacher's son , Mark, who was living in Israel. I sai to the teacher its or you. He said "but I am busy with the kids" I said" but it is Mark" You see. the teachers's son was going to school in israel. His parents were worried since it was a place of unrest. when the teacher came back in the room..I could tell there was something wrong. I said" Is everything alright? He said "everything is alright in Israel but its not aright here" He then whispered to me what had happened. We shortly found out that a colleagues sister in law was on one of the planes.
    Recently we lost a friend , who was a fireman in NY. He had taken a day off on 9?11/2001. All the men under him were killed. He moved his family out of the city and near us, by his brother. he was a great guy. He still worked in the city as a fireman and spent much time there cleaning up an searching. Last year he was diagnosed with 9/11 related cancer. He died 2 weeks later leaving behind a wife and 4 kids. We live 2 hours from NYC….

  63. I was a sophomore in college and was still sleeping. I remember my roommate coming in and waking me up and telling me a plane flew into the World Trade Center in NY. Since I was sound asleep, it took some time for things to process. I remember some professors canceling classes and the school told them they needed to continue having class. I went to a school where we had no TV's on campus so we had to see most of our info online. Later that day (possibly the next) the school put up TV's in the Student Center so we could watch the news. I remember having a prayer vigil for our country in the gym.

  64. I was at work at a defense contracting company very near the Baltimore airport. Our company shut down our internet access and we started sharing rumors. I called my sister-in-law, who was at her house near Annapolis. Her son was watching TV, but I told her to turn it to CNN. She filled me in on what was going on. We were sent home at noon so that people could get home before train stations were completely closed. I just wanted to get home. I felt like I would be safe there. So I drove home (also near Annapolis) and just hunkered down and watched the news. On the way home, my mom's survival paranoia kicked in and I filled up my car with gas and got cash out of the ATM. When I got home, I packed a bag just in case I would need to get out of the area quickly.

  65. It was 7 months after my husband and I got married. I was between jobs so I was sleeping in that morning. My mother called. My sister, who lives in Indonesia, called to tell my parents to turn on their TV, that America was being attacked. My mother called me. Paul worked from home so we both ran to the TV. Just a minute after we turned the TV on the second plane hit the second tower. We saw it all unfold before our eyes. I remember screaming. I remember thinking "this can't be real, it's a horrible stunt!" I grew up in NJ just 45 min outside of the city but was living in OK at the time. However, we still had a lot of family, friends, and acquaintances, that lived/worked in the City. Of particular concern was my aunt. She worked down there, did a lot of business in the towers, and she couldn't be reached.

    As the day unfolded, we found out my aunt had been out in the 'burbs participating in a golf tournament. She lost colleagues that day but we didn't lose her. As one day passed after another we began to hear stories of all those in our circle of friends who SHOULD have been there that day but for one reason or another were not there. So many more people SHOULD have died that day, but they didn't. There is a message of hope in that. No one in my immediate family or circle of friends was lost. But for all those who did lose their loved ones, for all the first responders who put their own health and safety in jeopardy, for all those men and women who answered our country's call to serve, for all of them, I prayed my special intentions today. We will never forget…

  66. I was at home with my daughter, Heather (then a freshmen in High School) because she was sick. We were in the den with the Today Show on and the reports started coming in. I remember seeing those images on the tv screen and just not being able to wrap my mind around what was happening. We were glued to the set during all the coverage – just staring in disbelief and so heartbroken for everyone. We were watching when the second plane hit the towers. Unbelievable – then hearing about the Pentagon. I will never, ever forget it.

  67. I was sleeping and I heard the phone ring. When I got up I checked the message and it was my Mom telling me we weren't going to Canada for the concert that night because of the attacks. I had no idea what she was talking about. I called her back and she said turn on the TV and I did and was shocked at what I had seen. It didn't seem so real the first few times I saw them replay it over and over. By the 3 or 4th time I saw it, it sunk it that this was real and our country was attacked. I will never forget. We live right near the border of Michigan and Ontario and boy have things changed since then. They closed the borders right away. They were only letting people go home on both sides. Other than that, it was a closed border.

  68. I was home with my 3 and 1 year olds .. getting ready for our 3 year olds first day of pre school .. the night before we went over the bridge near the twin towers and I happened to really notice them .. it was a beautiful day , not a cloud in the bright blue sky , hard to imagine the horror happening less than 50 miles away . I couldn't believe what was happening , we knew people that work in the towers .. two didn't make it , they were sisters . The next day , the smell of burning was horrible , I will never forget the smell or the sight of jet fighters over our home .

  69. I was 14 and a freshman in high school. We had just picked up the kids we carpool with and they told us that a plane had hit the first tower. I remember thinking that it was crazy for a plane to have hit the tower… the Twin Towers were so big. On our way to school we learned of the second plane hitting the South Tower. It was then that my mom pulled out her cell phone and called my Dad. He, like so many other weeks, was in New York for work. His company was working on putting a store in the mall at the bottom of the WTC. I will never forget what my mom said to his voicemail as there was no answer "I know you are okay but I need you to call me back. I love you." I remember my mom calling over and over again and there was never an answer. When we got to school some of my classmates had not even heard about the attacks. Soon the TV was turned on and through the static we watched the events of that horrific day unfold. My mom worked at the school and she had promised she would let me know when she heard anything. We eventually moved down the hall to the 8th grade classroom and it was there when someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me that my mom and older sister were standing outside holding each other and crying. I looked out the window and saw the scene described to me. I raced down the stairs and received the first good news of the day- my Dad was okay. After hours of silence we finally learned what thousands of other families were not able to hear.

    It would still be days until he came home and I remember never being more excited to see him. As flights were grounded he and several others had to rent a car and drive 1,000 miles back to their families. He doesn't talk about that day much… his hotel was across the river from the WTC and he didn't need to turn on the television to see the fire, smoke, and chaos. For us this day has been hard knowing how close we came to losing him… to living the nightmare that far too many people have lived. I will never forget that day and the fear felt.

  70. I got up early (well, early for a college student) to go with my Young Life team to visit with our high school friends. We had been tasked to start Young Life at a rural school and went often in the mornings to visit and make new friends. My whole team went that morning, crammed into one car. We had an incredible visit and were so pumped about the new friends we had met. I arrived home just after the first plane struck the tower. My roommate was eating breakfast on the couch watching the news. She told me of the "accidental" crash. I then sat down with her and we watched in horror as the second plane struck the tower. We didn't move from the couch for quite some time. Neither of us rushed to our classes that Tuesday morning (we later found out that they had been cancelled). I did have an afternoon class that day and all we talked about was the attack. That day changed my life forever; it was the final push for my future husband (we hadn't even met at the time) to follow the calling to be an Army Ranger. He served nearly 7 years as a Ranger. Most of his brothers in arms were also moved by the 9/11 tragedy to do something. Today's 10th anniversary has brought a flood of memories. Memories of the hope I felt early that morning that God was going to do something great in the lives of my high school friends and even more hope later in the day that God would work even the tragedy for good.

  71. I forgot to add on my above comment about sitting in our hot tub a couple nights later, when there were still no planes flying. It was eerily quiet, save for an occasional military plane flying over. I was wondering how long we would be hearing military and not civilian planes and it gave me chills.

  72. I was just dropping off my kids at their before school program, on my way to teach. I overheard a conversation between two other moms, and I had to ask if they were talking about a TV show, or if this was real. As I arrived at my school, an emergency staff meeting was called, and we watched the second tower collapse. I live in a military community, so we had to discuss how to handle the situation with students, as many children would be concerned about the impact on their families. I don't remember much about the day after that, just that it all seemed surreal, and more talk of prayers going up that day than any other I have experienced. That was one of the only positives that I can see from that day, hearing people pray or talk of God that I had never heard before.

  73. In the driveway, kissing my husband as he left for work. neighbor shouted out the window, "Have you heard the news?"

    Me: What news?

    Neighbor: Go turn on the TV.

    Said goodbye to my husband and ran into the house.

    I never left the TV all day…in shock…

  74. I was at home caring for my mother. She had been doing fine at 92 1/2 but the night before I began to realize that something was wrong. I had called my sister and she came. We dressed her, helped her to her favorite chair and she took a drink of water, smiled at me and her eyes locked on the ceiling. At 2:35 she left this earth. I never really paid a lot of attention to what was happening in the world. We had the T.V. on but our hearts were consumed with saying "good-bye" to our mother. One year later I watched all the news broadcasts of what had happened. As time as gone on…because my mother passed away on 9/11…it's hard not to grieve on that day, I am never really allowed to forget. So grateful for our military, firefighters and all those who serve and protect us!!!

  75. I was asleep in bed almost ready to get up and get ready for work. My husband called me and told me to turn on the news.. I got to watch as a plane crashed into the second tower just seconds after it happened. I was in shock. Was it real? This cannot be happening. I remember going to work (I worked at Bank of AMERICA). Nobody came in that day. No customers… well very few… Nobody wanted to enter a building with America on the front of it… not on that day. The fear was astounding.

    I remember trying to feel safe again… trying to remember our heros, but trying not to focus on the insecurity of our nation… it was difficult. 10 years later… Are we really ever safe!?!? Life is fragile. That is what I have learned!!

  76. I was teaching a class of 4th grade students that year. My husband (who taught at the same school) and I drove to school unaware of what was going on ~ we lived in Arizona then, with a 3 hour time difference from NY. As we entered the building one of the staff told us. My class had flag duty that day. Our small school would all file outside each morning to raise the flag and say the Pledge of Allegiance. I'll never forget the feeling of raising the flag, then showing the color guard how to lower it down to half staff. As the main adult that those children would be with all day, it was also one of the first times I truly knew I was an adult, since my response would greatly affect the way that they handled the day. The silent skies that were usually so filled with planes, all the flags that appeared everywhere . . .

  77. Kevin was working in Los Angeles, his first placement after the California Highway Patrol academy. He had worked all night and was then was ordered to guard the Regan building in LA . I sat in my apartment building with my baby watching the news. Scrolling at the bottom of the screen were the words, "Airplane heading to Los Angeles". So, I sat in my living room praying and hoping and begging for his protection. I experienced a peace from God that day-one I will never forget. I am so thankful that no airplane was heading to LA, but so sorry for all those who did lose loved ones.

  78. Living on the west coast, I was still in bed when my radio came on just before 7 AM. I heard the DJ, a friend and co-worker, say, "All air traffic in the United States has now been grounded." I remember sitting up and staring at the radio and then rushing downstairs and flipping on CNN. I saw the first tower fall and then the second. I hurriedly got ready for work and rushed to the radio station where I worked. I really don't remember the next two days, but I do remember how completely overwhelmed I felt at my inability to get away from the terrible event. It was all we were doing at work, and then it would follow me home. I avoided most of the coverage today. I remember but always wish I could forget.

  79. I was standing in my room getting ready for school and I knew we were late because I hardly ever saw the beginning of the Today show. I can still hear the seriousness of Katie Couric's voice and looking up at the very moment that the second plane hit. I started yelling for my mom not really understanding what happened but I just kept saying "a plane hit a building Mom"

    We rushed off to school and I remember the hushed tones of teachers and all of us wondering what was happening. One of my most vivid memories is the computer teacher, Mrs. Rodgers telling a few of us what happened. I just remember how she treated us like adults and trusted us with the horror our nation was facing.

    Now as a Christian I see the whole thing in a different lens.

  80. I was sitting in an assembly in 6th grade that was the kick-off for our fundraising for the year when it actually happened. I sort of remember just having a bad feeling about something at the time I didn't know what it was but I soon found out. I remember walking back to the cluster of classrooms that served as our "home-base". Looking back I remember the teachers were a lot quieter than normal, especially the loud boisterous teacher who was always joking about something. In my middle school there were some walls that were able to be moved to open up to one large classroom. The school separated each grade into "houses". When we got back from the assembly we were suppose to separate and go into our normal classes, but instead they brought us all into the large classroom and talked to us a little bit and asked if we knew what the World Trade Centers were. I has personally never heard of them until that horrific day 10 years ago. They proceeded to tell us that some very horrible men had flown airplanes into the buildings and that they had fallen. They turned on the news and I remember sitting in the back of the classroom trying not to cry. I had never known anyone that would have been there or anything but it just broke my heart (and still does) when I thought of all those people who were never going to get to go home to their families like I would get to later that day. The teachers left the t.v.'s on for the rest of the day muted so that we could still learn. I don't remember much more about that day. But I do remember hearing shortly after the country song "Where were you when the world stopped turning," I remember getting ready for school when I heard it and I remember crying all over again. I still cannot look at the pictures of all the different memorials that are going on today without crying. Still breaks my heart.

  81. I was living in Portland, OR at the time, so I was still asleep when the attacks were happening. My roommate came in to wake me & tell me that my Dad was on the phone, and "you should go watch what's happening on TV". I took the phone & went out to the living room, sat on the coffee table & watched the coverage while talking to my Dad on the phone. Both towers had been hit by this time, and while talking to my Dad & watching the coverage, I saw the towers crumble to the ground. It was unreal. I remember when I realized that what looked like falling debris was actually people desperately jumping to their deaths, I just sat there and cried. I couldn't imagine the hopelessness that they must have felt… or maybe the desperate hope that they might actually make it to the ground without dying.

    Once I understood what was happening, my first question was, "Where's Sean?"… my brother, who was on the crew of the USS Dallas (sub) stationed in Groton, CT, just across the Sound from Long Island. Dad wasn't sure where my brother was. I called my brother's now ex-wife, and she only said that she had to drop him off at the base. She didn't have any more information than that. The next few hours were torture not knowing if my brother was dead or alive. We eventually found out a few hours later that they scrambled the crew on board and headed underwater as quickly as possible, believing that the subs would be sitting ducks if they stayed in port. Nobody knew if there would be more attacks, and that base is so close to NYC & DC that they couldn't take any chances.

    I headed in to work – a church-planting ministry that works in the former Soviet Union and many other unreached parts of the world. My co-workers and I spent the day watching the news coverage, talking together, and of course lots of praying.

    I remember how eerie it was to not hear noise in the skies for those few days afterwards, and then one day I was outside my house, and was terribly startled to hear military jets screaming overhead, having just taken off from a nearby regional airport.

    This weekend, in commemoration of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, our local symphony presented a pair of family concerts which of course had a very patriotic theme. Last night's concert was to be played in an outdoor amphitheater, but right after the presentation of the Color Guard and the playing of the National Anthem, it began to rain. So we had to head inside to our backup venue. We needed to get many music stands, chairs, instruments & cases, and lots of percussion instruments inside as quickly as possible. Almost all of the audience members came up to the stage to grab something to carry inside… It was truly "Audience Participation"!

    That concert will be remembered for a long time as one where a community was formed in order to save a concert which was being presented in order to celebrate the way Americans came together to save and help others in the midst of one of the most terrible tragedies our country has ever faced. It was a very emotional experience for me to remember all that happened 10 years ago, while giving my heart – in the form of my instrument – to a beautiful community of people.

    Linny – Ty is in my prayers… along with my brother who is also deployed right now. He is somewhat "safer" as he is underwater in a submarine, but our military is always being sought out for attack by those who would seek to destroy our country.

    Love you!

  82. I was in a fox hole doing practice maneuvers during our last week of basic training, I didn't know what had happened, but I had noticed there were no planes flying that day. Later that night we were told of the events that had transpired that day, it sounded so unbelievable, some of us thought it was a training "scenario" until the sober looks on their faces told us otherwise

  83. My husband and I were on vacation in San Antonio – our first trip since our daughter had been born just over a year before. We had left our daughter at home – 8 hrs away – with my mom for 5 days. That morning we woke up in our hotel room, turned on the TV, and called my mom to say good morning to our daughter. When we turned on the TV, the first tower had just been hit and, at that time, they were reporting that it was a small plane. We thought it was just a terrible accident. I said to my mom, "Wow, a plane hit the World Trade Center." I remember thinking it was bad, but not really being concerned. While I was on the phone with my mom, watching the news coverage, I could see the 2nd plane coming in on the TV screen. At first it was hard to see and I thought it was a news helicopter filming the first crash. Even when I saw it hit the 2nd tower, I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, there's another one! What in the world is going on?" still not even remotely thinking it was intentional.

    As I continued watching the news, I started seeing little bits of the building breaking off as the news casters just continued to drone on and on, and I was thinking, "Hello! The building is collapsing! Doesn't anyone even notice?!" and even said as much to my husband, who was in the other room.

    As the attacks continued – the Pentagon, the plane in Pennsylvania, and at the time, numerous false reports of car bombs and other explosions – I just remember thinking, "It's not going to stop. We are under attack and it's not going to stop. This is it for our country." I was so scared about what would happen, wondering how many more places were going to be attacked, and being so terrified that we would not be able to get home to our baby. We were in a city with a major Air Force base, and I worried that it would be attacked.

    For a long while, the highways in and out of the city were closed. But we were finally able to get out and head toward home. It was very eerie driving home with the roads almost deserted and no planes in the sky. Praise God we made it home without incident, but had to drive my mom home (she lived 6 hrs away) b/c the airports were shut down. I remember trying to buy an American flag and there were NONE to be found in our city or surrounding towns.

    Such a horrible, devastating day. It was incredible to see the way our nation rallied together, but completely sad at the way we have fallen to even lower depths now than we were before that day. God help us.

  84. I too just blogged my thoughts on this. My thoughts on forgiveness. My now 10 year old son was sleeping on me, just a small baby. My mother called and asked me to turn on the tv. As soon as I did the 2nd tower was hit.

  85. Linny – I was on one of the military bases you drove by on your way home (Langley)! Soon after the attacks, I was heading to meet with the Crisis Action Team, as many many things were put into motion to deal with the terrible tradegy and protect our great country from more attacks. Thank you to your family for your support of our military families! You guys ROCK!


  86. Linny
    I was a detective at the time and was supposed to have been in Washington DC at an FBI computer crimes training school that week. It was a tough school to get into so I was very excited when I got the notice that I could go. Only problem was that it conflicted with a jury trial I had scheduled for Tuesday morning. I put in a request to have the trial re-scheduled and listed my reason why. I thought it would be a no brainer for the judge to reschedule the case. However, the judge handling the case refused to reschedule the trial to let me go to school so I had to give up my spot. I remember how angry I was that he refused to adjourn the trial. They do it for defense attorneys all the time? Why don’t cops ever get a break? I didn’t go to the class and I never got the spot back.

    That morning we took a recess in jury selection and I was standing in the court room looking out the window down into the parking lot when the prosecutor assigned to the case walked up behind me and said “Hey Dave, they just said a plane hit the World Trade Center”. I remember we both talked in confusion about how bad a pilot must be to fly a plane into such a big building still believing it to be an accident at that point.

    Court resumed and the jury selection continued but midway through, the defendant decided to drop her plea of not guilty and plead guilty. When the prosecutor and I walked outside the courtroom we saw a woman crying in the waiting area. This is not unusual but we didn’t know why she was crying until a few minutes later. As a walked down the hallway I remember looking into the court clerk’s office and seeing a TV on with people crowded around it. Most of the people were crying.

    We made it to the DA’s office and we walked into the break room. That’s when we heard about the 2nd plane and found out this was a terrorist attack. That’s also when we found out a plane had hit the Pentagon. I remember the prosecutor looking at me and saying “Weren’t you supposed to be there?” I nodded and said “Yep” and we shook our heads in disbelief.
    Dave Funkhouser

  87. I remember I was at home in Australia, all our main TV news channels were showing live coverage of the WTC.

    I am so sorry for children, spouses and parents losing their beloved ones, their parents, wives, husbands, sisters, brothers, friends. Things will never be the same for them and I am so sad for them that they had to go through this grieving.

  88. I had to work late the previous night and had just gotten up and clicked on the tv to watch the news while I ate breakfast. Only one plane had crashed so far, and they thought at that point it was an accident. Drove in to work listening to the news on the radio. I worked at Hallmark corporate headquarters. The building is filled with video monitors that normally show stuff about Hallmark products, but they were all switched over to the news. My co-workers and I all gathered around the monitors to watch as the second plane hit, and watched as both towers collapsed. There is a Catholic church right next to Hallmark that has a sparsely attended noon Mass that I always went to… I went over that day with my sister, who also works at Hallmark but normally did not go to that service…the church was packed and standing room only. When something like this happens, church is the only place to be.


  89. I had just gotten gas and walked in to get a drink and saw a few seconds on the tv but couldn't process what was going on. It wasn't until I got to work that I discovered what had happened. We went and purchased rabbit ears for a tv and tried to absorb the events as they unfolded. Very surreal and numbing. I'll never forget . .

  90. I was home getting ready for work, in Oregon. The Today show was on in the background. I worked as an assitant to the worship pastor at my church, and had been married for only a few short months to my second husband. Our boys were 5 and 8. I called my mom immediately after seeing the replay of the tower being hit, because we both worked as travel agents. Such a heartsick day of sitting at my desk, reviewing an emergency plan with the kids,making sure we had enough insulin and medications at home in case of more war on our soil. I am a news junkie in general and had to learn that I must turn away after a time, to let my brain process the information. My sons are now 15 and 18 and don't really remember that day, and could actually go to war now. I have watched the recap coverage in the past week and have cried new tears in grief. I learned some things about the planes that I didn't know before. And yet life continues on for us.

  91. I was arriving to work a little late when I heard about the first plane attack. I also thought it was an accident. By the time the second one hit, I was sure it wasn't. I had been to the WTC many times and loved the area where the first one hit because the elevators stopped there and you could go up and look out the windows. When I visited my bff in nyc or nj (depending on where she lived at the time,) we always took the PATH or subway to the WTC stop under the towers.

    Our office had a sad tv with little reception and it was difficult to see what was happening. But you could hear the reporters. I had to stop watching and see my client. I was working as a juvenile probation officer who supervised teens on parole (after they returned from tyc, kid prison, if you will.) I previously had this client and two of his brothers. He just returned for another round of parole after being reincarcerated. Not only did I give him the regular intake but a lecture/message of greater worldly importance that day. He had no idea of the significance of what was happening so I proceeded to explain it to him as best as I could. Sadly, I never saw him again. He never returned and had gotten in trouble thereby moving him on into jail and into the adult system. When I returned to see what had happened after my client left, the second tower had already collapsed. It was surreal. I couldn't even process the idea.

    My bff's hubby worked near there and was able to escape the city without injury.

  92. My husband had just walked out of the door for work and I turned the TV on to watch Good Morning America. There I saw live the second plane fly into the WTC. I quickly ran to the door and called my husband back inside. We watched together for awhile, cried, and prayed. My oldest son was 5 and did not understand why I was so sad or why "bad men would be soooo mean!". The beauty of it was that while I was praying for all of the inocent people involved in this attack my 5 year old son reminded me that "we need to pray of the bad men to mommy. Jesus loves them to right?" I will never forget those words! So as I pray for all of those whose lives have been dramatically altered as a result of the terrorist attcks on 9-11, I include the families of those who caused this terrible event!
    Today as I did 10 years ago I cry out "God Bless the USA!!"

  93. I was in my kitchen getting my two little ones breakfast and cleaning up the dishes. I could hear the TV from where I was and I remember thinking that I needed to talk to my Dad. He, at the time was sick with Leukemia. I'll never forget his response. He was a Marine and his heart was broken for what had happened. He never thought he would ever see such a day.

    But he also had confidence we would recover. I'm glad Daddy was still here. He was a peacemaker…the God kind.

  94. I am a retired teacher. It was my free period and I saw a teacher in the halls crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me what just happened. I ran to the English Office to turn on the tv. You are so right. Life did change for us that day.

  95. I was just a young college student and my class didn't start till 11 that day and so I was in bed asleep. My boyfriend at the time repeated was calling my phone so I finally answered it and he pleaded with me to get up and turn on the tv. I eventually did and I sat on the couch watching in shock I think. I had no idea what it meant for me personally or for our country as a whole. I was horrified at the loss, the disaster, the lives, but I had no idea really what the complete implications were. I just was struck dumb. I am kind of thankful. All of my classes were cancelled except my sociology class. (of course!) I went. Most didn't. But I will never forget that teachers fear stricken face and the conversations that pursue (and continued long past the "bell"). I don't really remember anything else from that day. I am thankful (then and now) that I was safe and far from the immediate impact.

  96. Hi sweet friend, sorry this is late, but, i had a migraine yesterday, and didn't read your blog.
    i was getting my oldest ready for school the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. My father in law called, and was yelling in a combination of Greek and English, looking for my husband. As i struggled to understand what he was saying, i heard him say something about the Pentagon, and CNN. He wanted to know if John had returned from D.C. yet. i told him that he had returned 2 days ago, and that he was now at work at the base. He started weeping in relief. i still had no idea what was going on, so i turned on CNN. That is when my world changed completely. We lived in San Antonio, Texas at the time, and since it is such a large military town, we were all on alert. My daughter and i sat in stunned silence watching the horrors unfold in New York, D.C. and in Pennsylvania. After we talked to my husband, we went to get our Chinese exchange student from school and then went to Costco to stock up on supplies. We were not sure that there wouldn't be more of the terror to follow. i remember the people that day, we were all walking around in shocked silence, but, we were kind to one another.
    For as long as i live i will never forget that day and the horror of it all.
    i pray that we will always remember.

    love you,

  97. my alarm clock went off (it's tuned into the radio) and I heard them talking about the first plane crashing into the tower and I thought I was still dreaming. I sat up so quickly when I realized I wasn't and could not believe what I was hearing. I had to go to work but was completely preoccupied. My whole office did nothing but listen to the news all day. I had to run an errand and I actually rear ended someone because I was in such a daze. The other driver got out of his car and said "don't worry about it. Today is not the day". Everyone was just stunned.
    My husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) is a fire fighter and was absolutely gut wrenched by what was happening. It hit really close to home. He had actually been planning to propose marriage to me that very evening – there was even an icecream cake in his freezer saying 'will you marry me?' all ready to surprise me with. Obviously he changed his plans as we needed to just sit and listen and grieve. A few days later he did ask and I remember it being such a strange feeling to be so elated and so devestated at the same time. Greg ended up going down to ground zero to help clean up. He needed to do something. We will NEVER forget.

  98. I was living in a small town in Montana. I thought the first plane was an accident. When the second and third planes hit I was honestly scared we, being so remote and least likely to be hit, would be alone at the end of the day. It is strange that some of my school aged children were not born yet. We read Fireboat this morning. They asked the same questions we've all been asking for ten years.

  99. I was in the hospital having just given birth the day before to my 3rd born. I was excited to get a chance to watch tv other than PBS…and soon found myself watching a plane go through the 2nd tower and then watching them collapse…it was such a surreal day as were the days that followed.

  100. Hi Linny,
    I come from a Dutch family, living in Egypt at that time. 9/11 took place in the evening for us. I didn't know anything was going on as we didn't have a tv. But then I joined my dad as he went to a meeting/biblestudy. I babysat the kids. I remember the family we visited lived on the top floor of a rather high appartmentbuilding which had on elevator. It was hot, and when we got there they were watching CNN. That is where I watched the planes hit the twin towers. I was 15 years old.

  101. I need prayers for my foster child that is suppose to return home Wednesday, he isn't going home to a safe environment and I am praying that if it's God's will for him to stay with us that he interveins right away so this little one doesn't have to go through any more heartbreak. By having to be taken out of the only home he knows to possibily taken away from his parents again. I am so scared for those kids who are going to be returning to that house, and there's nothing else I can do but to continue to pray. That God will keep him here with us or help his parents be the very best parents those children deserve. It's a very scary situation… I hope God will do what's best for those children and give them the childhood they need and deserve. We will miss him terribly but I just want him to be safe and sound and happy… We would love to adopt him if that's God's plan, were just trying to take this day by day and hope and pray for the best…

  102. Sunday is my social network free day – no facebook, no blogs, a sabbath.

    Anyway, I'm just getting to this today. I was teaching high school special ed. I found out about it during my planning period and then turned on the radio and heard the 2nd plane crash "live". It was awful. I also realized that day that my husband would absolutely be going to war. It was a sobering realization. I wrote a bit about it on my blog if you're interested: http://www.threelittlemonkeysjumping.blogspot.com

    Hugs to you, thinking of you and praying for your family (and Karl!).

  103. I was home with our oldest child, just three days old. I remember worrying about the future…I had just seen kids waiting at the bus stop for their first day of kindergarten. I remember wondering if the precious child in my arms would have that opportunity. There were just so many unknowns about what those attacks meant.

  104. I was teaching at an elementary school not far from the Pentagon. I had a planning period, so no children. I had my classroom TV on and I was watching the Today show while I worked on lesson plans. I watched everything broadcasted live. It wasn't long before we were put on lock down and alerted that we were checking out students to their families. We had several parents who worked in Congress and at the Pentagon. I'll never forget the look of shear fear on the parents faces as they picked up their children. We were not far from the CIA headquarters so I drove the back roads home. We were all wondering what in our area would be hit next. My husband was working in DC. He was tasked by his company with providing cell phones to the first responders at the Pentagon. It was a very long and surreal day.

  105. I was 22, in my first few weeks teaching high school English. One of my seniors burst into the room yelling, "Miss M! Miss M, someone bombed the Pentagon!" (Obviously she didn't have all the facts straight at that point, but that is what she said.) I spent the rest of the day watching the coverage with my HS students, trying to help them cope, and trying to understand it myself.

    I work for a rural school, and the next morning, I remember how red the sky was as I made my usual drive through the countryside. I have never seen a sky like that, nor do I think I will again. I remember thinking that God, too, must have been crying that morning.

  106. I was living in Seattle and had 2 little ones (under 5) and pregnant with number 3. I was getting everyone ready for daycare (I teach) when my husband yelled to turn on the tv. I did and sadly saw the 2nd plane fly into the building. I screamed. Then shuffled my little ones away trying to hide my emotions. By the time I had dropped my kids at daycare, my hubby at the ferry and arrived at school it was all over (we were 3 hours behind). My student (5th graders) arrived. Only about half knew what was going on, so we spent that morning talking about fact and rumor, and discussing how it was like Pearl Harbor. The island where I taught was the first to have their Japanese Americans sent to internment camps, so the kids wanted to know if Arab Americans were going to be excluded. Then we moved on with our day because we weren't going to let them watch the live coverage – that was for their parents to decide. We set up a tv in the staff room, and every break we had we were in there watching as colleagues. As an army brat, and a Navy wife I knew what was in store for folks in the military.

  107. I was at work in Shelton CT, where I worked for a variable annuities investment firm, American Skandia. One of my co-workers had a radio on at her desk. She looked up puzzled and said "I THINK I just heard that a plane crashed into one of the World Trade Towers." We immediately turned on the overhead TV and watched in horror. When the second plane hit, as we were watching, I remember saying before anyone spoke a word, "Oh, this is NOT a mistake!" The next thing I thought, rather irrationally, was "Where is my baby? Is she okay?" Now, while Shelton is only a little over an hour from NYC, my daughter was another hour north of us, at the sitter's. But there was this INSTANT need to connect with her. The most eeiry (How DO you spell that word?!?!) thing was trying to sit back down to do something like work, and coming across piece after piece of mail from investment firms with addresses that no longer existed…their addresses were above the floors hit by the planes, and soon the two towers were rubble. Very surrealistic…very horrific…no wonder I don't like horror movies!

    Hugs….Nancy in CT (who will NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

  108. I was sitting in the living room of our new home, watching the Today Show. We had just moved to MO, 8 hours from everyone we knew, 2 weeks prior. I had my 4 year old dressed as we were going to get his pictures done. I sat there in stunned silence not believing what was happening. I watched for an hour or so and then realized I had to get out of the house and do something with my son so he wasn't faced with those horrific images all day. I stopped by the house where my husband was doing construction work and told them what had happened and then went ahead and got my son's pictures taken. Now every time I see those pictures I think of that day. I was so terrified of what was going to happen and here we were so far away from home. That weekend we drove to my parents' house because we just needed to be with family. Driving home was so surreal; no planes in the sky but so many signs of support for the troops and our country along the interstate.

    I know for many this is so not close to the same, but this May, I was so taken back to those moments when the tornadoes hit Joplin. We are just over an hour east of Joplin and I had that same horror and disbelief as the images started hitting the air. We went to a friends' house (we don't have a basement) and sat in their basement watching it all unfold on the news.

  109. I was five months pregnant with our first child and was at work when I noticed the radio station which usually played music was all talk. I went to change the station, thinking someone had moved it to a talk radio station, and soon realized that something bad had happened. I quickly turned on the TV in the office in time to hear a brief comment about a plane hitting the WTC. A couple of minutes later, I saw the second plane hit the second WTC. From then on I was glued to the TV and news reports. I called my husband and my parents just because I wanted to hear their voices. My brother was a student at Georgia Tech at the time, and I was concerned as I heard rumors and reports of college campuses evacuating and areas around Atlanta being shut down.

    My cousin was working for an Atlanta-based firm that was based in NYC in the WTC. He was in the building when the first plane hit. His remains were never recovered. He left behind a wife, two children and three step-children.

    We will never forget.

  110. I was in grad school and had just spent the beautiful, sunny, hour-long commute from home singing praise choruses and hymns. I was in a great mood when I walked into my classroom to see my classmates sitting on the seminar tables watching the TVs overhead, which annoyed me a bit for who knows what reason. I walked into the classroom and learned that both towers and the Pentagon had been struck. I watched in terrified silence as the towers collapsed in front of us. I drove home on that cloudless day with my thoughts full of the clouds of dust and the thousands of people who had been inside. That afternoon, I bought two backpacks full of survival gear, and all the TVs at Wal-Mart were on and displaying live coverage of the ongoing horror. My husband came home and taped five hours of live coverage, and I have never been able to watch it. That night I learned that my lovely, amazing piano teacher had come downstairs to her living room that morning to discover that her husband had died of a heart attack in his chair during his morning devotions. The next day I had to teach two classes of freshmen English. I couldn't think of what to do to help the students deal with the horror, these young freshmen away from home for the first time and discovering for the first time that their country was not invulnerable, and fearing that more attacks were on the way. I knew I couldn't handle a discussion. I gave them sheets of paper on which they were to write five paragraphs answering these questions: Where were you and what were you doing when you found out? How did you react? What is one specific memory from the day that you will never forget? What are you thinking or feeling about it now? How does this event change how you view the future? The students wrote for the entire hour and turned in their papers at the end of the hour. I photocopied the essays and gave the originals back to the students. I still have those essays but cannot bring myself to read them. The next two weeks were surreal, and then gradually, because we lived a thousand miles away and had no personal connections, the "dust" settled for us and we returned to normal life, normal pain, normal fears, normal trust. But I cannot go back and watch those videos or read those students' essays, and I seldom watch or read anything connected with 9/11. I can't bear it. I don't know that I will be able to go back and read the comments that have been posted here, though I normally read every single comment.

  111. I was at work when my late husband called from his work and asked if I had the radio on. I told him no. He said that a plane crashed into 1 of the WTC, knowing I had customers there. As I was talking to him he had a tv on at his work and was watching when the 2nd plane hit. He said "Laurie, this isn't an accident. We are under attack. Should I go get Stacy (our daughter who was 10) from school?" We lived 10 minutes from The Defense Mapping Agency near St. Louis and I worked about 10 minutes from Lambert Airport. We decided to wait and see if there was anything else that happened. When he heard that the Pentagon was hit, he called and we both left work and picked up our daughter and went to my parents in Southwest Missouri who live on a large lake. We just felt that we needed to be together. I did find out that 17 of my customers died in the 2nd tower and a co-worker lost her twin sister in the 1st tower. Please thank Tyler for serving and protecting our family.

  112. I was sitting in a school gymnasium beside my then boyfriend taking the ASVAB. I did not know it then but that day and that test were shaping my future, a few short years later I was given the honor and privilege of being a military wife. There has been no greater honor than standing beside my husband as he served our country in Iraq. Give Sarah my best, and let her know I don't read your blog without remembering to pray for her. I know what is like to be a young wife left home alone. (I was 18, we had been married 8 months and I was 4 months pregnant when I waved goodbye as he boarded that plane.)

  113. I was working in a public school for kids with disabilities ages 5-21. I was sitting in a very technical in service for power wheelchairs. A co-worker had left for the office for something and came back in interrupting saying "We need to pray. Please bow your heads. Dear Heavenly Father…" and over the next few sentences we all started to gather something very serious had happened. Heads jerked up around the room, looking at her in bewilderment before someone interrupted her and asked her to please state what she knew, what had happened. It was the effective end of our in service. We couldn't concentrate well enough to learn what was being taught, and our instructor wanted to get on the road in her newly rented car, as she was supposed to get on a flight that afternoon to see her family that she had not seen in over a week (she had school aged children) as she had been doing a series of trainings. Her drive would be over 24 hours of driving time. It was clear that there would be no flights anytime soon.

    Above this, I remember taking my great aunt who was 94 to a candlelight vigil in a square in the following days. We watched from a couple stories up in a parking garage as it was not safe to take her down in the crowd. In my planning and preparation to safely get her there where she could watch, I had forgot our candles and flags. She was so disappointed and kept asking me (dementia, so she kept forgetting). Two women, a mother and daughter, were watching from where we were. After hearing my aunt's questions, they gave us their candles and flags. (And I learned why candlelight vigils made my parents stressed at times!) I will forever be grateful for those candles and flags (these were not 'extras', but were freely and gladly given). I will remember the two women and myself watching and listening to my aunt as much as we were watching and listening to the crowd below. I remember feeling so incredibly young and old at the same time.

  114. I was 19 and a newlywed. I was working as a nail tech while going to college. I woke up and hwile getting ready heard the first reports. I couldn't sit and watch though or I would be late for my morning class. On my way to school I called my dad (who was a police cheif at the time. He was on his way to an urgent emergency meeting at the local air force base. My dad was a police officer my whole life and I remember how much it hit me when I was talking to him and I could hear the fear in his voice (nothing ever got to him). So as I drove I worried and prayed (being a new believer) and watched for other planes in the sky. Once at the college I had to muster my way through a writing assignment without knowing what was going on. The teacher was an abrasive woman and told everyone that she knew what was going on, but that it didn't matter and that we just needed to be quiet andget our work done. After class I headed to the salon where I did a few clients and then left to head home early. Looking back I wonder how that teacher felt about the way she treated the situation. Once my hubby came home we sat there for HOURS on end in front of the TV watching the horror like the rest of th country. I remember crying all the time andthinkin that some day my husband would tell our grandkids about the day and how grandma was so upset by it. It kind of made me feel very grown up and old!

  115. I had just started a new teaching job at a church primary school here in the uk and we were about to start our annual staff Eucharist when the vicar came in and told us. We were in disbelief and shock – we switched tv on and watched as we prayed. …..

    A day never to be forgotten – remembering all who lost their lives – and their families too – praying for peace in our world.

    Love n prayers. Mags

  116. In a vineyard in southern France, buying wine. The maitre came to us and tried to explain what was happening on the News programme, thinking we were American. It wasnt till later that evening that we learned of the complete horrors.

  117. It was my first going back to work at a preschool after being a stay at home mom. My dh had walked out to go to work then came back in to tell me to turn on the tv because the neighbors were all outside talking about what happened. We saw that the first tower had been hit…it felt very unreal. Then the second plane hit and I remember feeling like I was going to throw up. The realization that it was a terrorist attack really hit. I didn't want to send the kids to school but we had to because I had to be at work. Did I mention that it was my youngest sons 7th birthday? That was hard trying to be happy while we celebrated his birthday later that day.
    I also remember getting a call at work from my mom telling me about the Pentagon…I have a step brother who worked there. thankfully it was his day off.
    It still seems like it was yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>